Tuesday 17 June 2014

The War of Art: a source of motivation when you have none

I'd like to share a book I found that has given me a profoundly different outlook on my own motivation, or lack thereof. It has given me a way to fight the good fight with myself in those times when I really don't want to put out the effort required or I'd rather just go for ice cream. This quote is from the website of Stephen Pressfield, the author.

What keeps so many of us from doing what we long to do? Why is there a naysayer within? How can we avoid the roadblocks of any creative endeavor—be it starting up a dream business venture, writing a novel, or painting a masterpiece?
The War of Art identifies the enemy that every one of us must face, outlines a battle plan to conquer this internal foe, then pinpoints just how to achieve the greatest success.
The War of Art emphasizes the resolve needed to recognize and overcome the obstacles of ambition and then effectively shows how to reach the highest level of creative discipline. Think of it as tough love . . . for yourself.

As we pursue our paths in all aspects of our lives, and in particular our education, we find times when we lack the focusing element that drives us forward to our goals. What Stephen Pressfield presents is a way for us to identify that lack of focus and label it in a way that we can now conjure a remedy.


No comments:

Post a Comment